[Roxygen-devel] \preformatted and #'' in roxygen2?
Rainer M Krug
2013-09-05 15:54:36 UTC
Hi

I want to include some preformated text (ASCII art) in a function
documentation using roxygen2. I found the #'' tag, but it does not seem
to be working - is it included in roxygen2? Or are there any other
approaches to include preformatted text in function documentations using
roxygen2?

If I have to use roxygen3 - how can I use it from ESS?

Thanks,

Rainer

Stellenbosch University
South Africa

Tel : +33 - (0)9 53 10 27 44
Cell: +33 - (0)6 85 62 59 98
Fax : +33 - (0)9 58 10 27 44

Fax (D): +49 - (0)3 21 21 25 22 44

email: Rainer at krugs.de

Skype: RMkrug
I want to include some preformated text (ASCII art) in a function
documentation using roxygen2. I found the #'' tag, but it does not seem
to be working - is it included in roxygen2? Or are there any other
approaches to include preformatted text in function documentations using
roxygen2?
Not that I'm aware of.
Post by Rainer M Krug
If I have to use roxygen3 - how can I use it from ESS?
Just call roxygenise yourself?

Hadley
--
Chief Scientist, RStudio
http://had.co.nz/
Vitalie Spinu
2013-09-06 23:20:11 UTC
Post by Hadley Wickham
Hadley Wickham <h.wickham at gmail.com>
[...]
Post by Hadley Wickham
If I have to use roxygen3 - how can I use it from ESS?
Just call roxygenise yourself?
ESS support for roxygen concerns
editing/preformating/updating/previewing roxygen blocks. All of it is on
C-c C-o keymap.

To actually build your docs you need, indeed, to call roxygenise
yourself.

Vitalie
Rainer M Krug
2013-09-09 07:13:00 UTC
Post by Vitalie Spinu
Post by Hadley Wickham
Post by Rainer M Krug
Hadley Wickham <h.wickham-Re5JQEeQqe8AvxtiuMwx3w at public.gmane.org>
[...]
Post by Hadley Wickham
Post by Rainer M Krug
If I have to use roxygen3 - how can I use it from ESS?
Just call roxygenise yourself?
ESS support for roxygen concerns
editing/preformating/updating/previewing roxygen blocks. All of it is on
C-c C-o keymap.
To actually build your docs you need, indeed, to call roxygenise
yourself.
Absolutely true - and I am doing this in my package anyway. So I can
switch to roxygen3 easily.

But is there a variable which specifu which roxygen (roxygen, roxygen2,
roxygen3) will be used for previewing, so that the preview and the final
result are consistent?

Thanks,

Rainer
Post by Vitalie Spinu
Vitalie
<#secure method=pgpmime mode=sign>
--
Rainer M. Krug

email: RMKrug<at>gmail<dot>com
Vitalie Spinu
2013-09-09 17:38:34 UTC
Post by Rainer M Krug
Rainer M Krug <Rainer at krugs.de>
[...]
Post by Rainer M Krug
But is there a variable which specifu which roxygen (roxygen, roxygen2,
roxygen3) will be used for previewing, so that the preview and the final
result are consistent?
Ok, that is a good question. This roxygenN naming does complicate the
stuff a bit. I have to look into the code, Henning (cced), can tell you
better.

Vitalie
Brian G. Peterson
2013-09-09 17:51:21 UTC
Post by Vitalie Spinu
Post by Rainer M Krug
But is there a variable which specifu which roxygen (roxygen, roxygen2,
roxygen3) will be used for previewing, so that the preview and the final
result are consistent?
Ok, that is a good question. This roxygenN naming does complicate the
stuff a bit. I have to look into the code, Henning (cced), can tell you
better.
I'd prefer to not change the package name (again). I believe Hadley had
indicated that he thought the code could be folded back into the
roxygen2 package, not forked and renamed, the last time this was discussed.

Versioning in DESCRIPTION works just fine.
--
Brian G. Peterson
http://braverock.com/brian/
IM: bgpbraverock
Hadley Wickham
2013-09-09 17:55:58 UTC
Post by Brian G. Peterson
Post by Rainer M Krug
result are consistent?
Ok, that is a good question. This roxygenN naming does complicate the
stuff a bit. I have to look into the code, Henning (cced), can tell you
better.
I'd prefer to not change the package name (again). I believe Hadley had
indicated that he thought the code could be folded back into the roxygen2
package, not forked and renamed, the last time this was discussed.
The big advantage (in the current situation), is that it's much easier
to have both versions installed simultaneously.

Hadley
--
Chief Scientist, RStudio
http://had.co.nz/
Vitalie Spinu
2013-09-09 18:15:51 UTC
Post by Hadley Wickham
The big advantage (in the current situation), is that it's much easier
to have both versions installed simultaneously.
Yes, but you can name old-version as roxygen-old and whoever wants to
use the old version can used that. This is uniformly better than giving
new names to the packages.

Would you mind naming roxygen3 simply roxygen?

Vitalie
Hadley Wickham
2013-09-09 18:18:16 UTC
Post by Vitalie Spinu
Post by Hadley Wickham
The big advantage (in the current situation), is that it's much easier
to have both versions installed simultaneously.
Yes, but you can name old-version as roxygen-old and whoever wants to
use the old version can used that. This is uniformly better than giving
new names to the packages.
Would you mind naming roxygen3 simply roxygen?
There is no way roxygen3 will become roxygen, but it will probably
become roxygen2, once I've firmly decided that the roxygen3 will be
backward compatible.

In the mean time, there is no advantage to renaming the package, given
that it works differently, and I have made no effort to make the API
the same as roxygen2.

Hadley
--
Chief Scientist, RStudio
http://had.co.nz/
Rainer M Krug
2013-09-09 07:10:29 UTC
Post by Hadley Wickham
Post by Rainer M Krug
I want to include some preformated text (ASCII art) in a function
documentation using roxygen2. I found the #'' tag, but it does not seem
to be working - is it included in roxygen2? Or are there any other
approaches to include preformatted text in function documentations using
roxygen2?
Not that I'm aware of.
Thanks - I thought that much but wanted to be sure that I am not missing
anything.
Post by Hadley Wickham
Post by Rainer M Krug
If I have to use roxygen3 - how can I use it from ESS?
Just call roxygenise yourself?
True - and I have to do it anyway.

Thanks,

Rainer