[Roxygen-devel] Quo Vadis ROxygen?
Johannes Graumann
2013-02-01 19:10:28 UTC

I've been using roxygen2 for a while for documenting my amateurish
enterprises and it has served me well.

I have, however, expanded the arsenal recently into using S4 classes and
this is where documentation using roxygen stops lending the helping hand it
used to and using it becomes an excruciating "how do I have to convince
roxygen to build documentation for my code" ball and chains ...

I have been surfing around for alternatives, couldn't get the (old) s4
branch in github, roxygen3 doesn't seem a smooth ride either - I'm at a
loss.

Where do I go from here? Are there alternatives to roxygen? Is there a
timeline for expanding toxygen(2)'s functionality into S$ space in a non-
beta(alpha) manner? Where can novices pitch in? What is to grow into a
future proof version (crystal ball, where art thou?) - roxygen3?

I'd appreciate any input.

Sincerely, Joh
Hi Joh,

roxygen3 will eventually get merged back in to roxygen2 - I definitely
plan to continue maintaining it, but other projects have priority at
the moment.

If you're having problems with roxygen3, it's probably namespace
related - if you ping me and remind me, I can try and make a few
minutes to investigate.

If you want to pitch in, the roxygen3 design is fairly well developed
and reasonably clean. You'll need a decent understanding of S4, and
there's a bit of an intro in the readme
(https://github.com/hadley/roxygen3)

Hadley

On Fri, Feb 1, 2013 at 1:10 PM, Johannes Graumann
Post by Johannes Graumann
Hi,
[...]
Chief Scientist, RStudio
http://had.co.nz/